Friday, March 29, 2013

2009 Chappellet Merlot

Let me start by stating that I don’t drink very much Merlot so my perspective is somewhat limited.  Had a lot of bad merlot in years past and thus I’ve mostly avoided it since.  I am, however, a fan of Chappellet Winery (Napa) which, as most fans of Napa cabernet know, makes consistently excellent cabernet along with other varietals.  So, when I recently had a chance to try the 2009 Chappellet Merlot, I had reason to hope that it might re-establish my appreciation for the merlot varietal.  And so it did. 
This 2009 Merlot is a smooth, delicious red wine. It has nice aromas of ripe plums and baking spices.  A dense, rich mouth feel with some good tannic structure (presumably from the cabernet added to the blend), but very smooth with no harsh edges.  Prominent fruit flavors of blackberry and a hint of cherry with some toasted oak essence.  Nice lingering aftertaste with more of the spice notes returning.
Overall, this is a very nice wine and a decent value at $38. Could be a terrific choice for those looking for a “big” red wine but with more prominent fruit and less of the firm, tannic structure of most Napa cabs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment